<VV> Engine fumes from my heater

EVERETT WILSON aircooled6 at prodigy.net
Fri May 21 00:12:54 EDT 2010

Exhaust leak, pure and simple.

Now, FINDING said leak, maybe not so simple.

Frequently, it is the donut gaskets.  Cheap and fairly easy to do.

While you have the manifolds off, INSPECT them closely.  I had a recurring leak in my 67 110.  I replaced the donuts, didnt see any cracks or rust outs in the exhaust stacks, nothing.  Finally, after several hundred miles, I was taking it apart again and saw a tiny black spot on the flat of one manifold.  It was soot escaping from a hole that I could Just get a 1/32nd drill bit to enter.  Didnt look like a hole without the soot, but it was.

Exhaust stacks - in the heads themselves..... Look at them to see if any rust out.  Verify that the flange at the bottom (where the donut sits against them) is not distorted or all tweaked.

The only other place exhaust can usually leak into the heater is head gaskets.  I think this would be the last place to look, unless you are hearing chipr-chirp sounds as the engine is running.

All but the head gaskets are easy to look at while you have the manifolds off anyway, so look at all of them while you have the chance and maybe save yourself the fun of tearing it apart again!!

HTH

Everett Wilson
North Richland Hills TX