<VV> Fuel pump rebuild kit

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sat May 22 08:24:50 EDT 2010

At 12:27 PM 5/20/2010, Chris C wrote:
>I would, but its much more expensive and the corvair purist gods
>would deem  a caravan sacrafice.

Besides, if you use some simple care in picking a fuel pump, the
right kind of mechanical pump will last longer than the electric, I
bet.    Got a 44 year old pump on one of the 'Vairs here (never been
changed) that still works fine and will continue to, as long as I
keep carrying that spare in the trunk...

In fact, none of the 'Vairs here are using an electric pump, been
years since I had to replace one.

The '62 ragtop had a pump replaced recently after it started quitting
on the streets, turned out to be a blocked line from the tank, put
the original pump back on the engine, doing fine.

>That and I want a vehicle that will still function once somebody hits
>us with an EMP.

EMP's will only damage sensitive micro-electronics, not electric
motors.   Your alternator or generator or fan motor will still work,
unless the blast was close enough to melt the paint.  ;)    Even so,
it still probably wouldn't take out the diodes in the alternator
although the radio might not like it much, unless like me you have a
'60 with a radio that uses tubes...  which still works, and that
ancient germanium output transistor is damned near indestructible.

Hey, you could go collect up some Mu-Metal and make shields for your
car's sensitive electronics... the Air Force does it with its
aircraft electronics so as to "harden" them against EMP.   A
fly-by-wire F-16 could have a very bad day if something like that
happened and its electronics weren't hardened.  ;)

But why take a chance that a nuclear assault might damage your
electric pump?   Use the mechanical one and rest assured.

tony..