<VV> Brake Fluid Tech tip

vair140 at aol.com vair140 at aol.com
Mon May 24 13:43:02 EDT 2010

I don't understand why there would me voltage showing.  Where is the positive voltage coming from thru the brake fluid.

Regards,

Guy Brandes

ps it is so pleasant to see tech stuff and most of the negative stuff going away.

We all know that brake fluid is hygroscopic, able to draw in moisture like a
ponge.  It is no wonder, then, that the brake fluid in the master cylinder is
ften dark, almost black in appearance.  But does that mean it has to be
hanged?

ot always.  And while there are test strips to test the moisture content, here
s a method that works just as well.  Use your DMM (Digital Multimeter) to test
he fluid!  The procedure is easy enough.  Hook up your negative meter lead to
he negative battery post, and then insert your positive meter lead into the
rake fluid while avoiding contact with the reservoir itself.  Any reading over
.30 volts is too much, and the fluid should be flushed.  This test is a result
f an SAE paper showing a distinct relationship between moisture content and the
oltage measured.  It is also a great demo to share with your customer when
elling the repair!

> I attended a local car show yesterday. It was hosted by a local Auto Parts
> & machine shop. On the wall next to the parts counter, they had a printed
> tech tip. Most of us know that brake fluid is hygroscopic - it attracts
> water,  and it brings it into the fluid solution.
>
> Seth  Emerson
>
> C's the Day! - Corvair, Camaro,  Corvette

Scott Trunkhill
ORSA, Corvair Atlanta, SECC, CORSA SC
6 Corsa, 65 Convertible, 65 Corsa Autocrosser, 63 Greenbrier
cott at trunkhill.com