<VV> Alarming observation

gswiatowy at rochester.rr.com gswiatowy at rochester.rr.com
Thu May 27 10:07:12 EDT 2010

Tim,
I know exactly what you are talking about.
I too have more parts than I could ever use, and more offers for me to "make an offer" on someone else's. Over the years, I have even been given parts collections from people who just want to be rid of it. Or purchased for next to nothing.
On the other hand, I am constantly getting calls from people looking for corvair parts.
But what they are looking for are things I don't have, or not willing to sell for next to nothing.
Telescopic columns
steering boxes.
Spyder dashes
early bumper guards
65-67 110hp motors
running Turbo or 140 motors
140 heads without block
NOS chrome and trim

Very seldom do I find somoeone wanting the more common parts.
But this is nothing new.
I've experienced this all the way back to 1978 when a local Corvair guy passed away.

But it is not only Corvair people. A couple years ago I went to an auction of a local car collector. The auction people had it listed as large collection of old car parts. What it was was spare partds he had accumulated for his collection of several collector cars, much NOS, much very good used. What the auctioneer did was make piles. and they mixed T-Bird with Cadillac, Mercury, Buick etc parts. I filled my truck inside and out to overflowing for like $75. Within a month I cleared $1000 on e-bay with plenty left. I went primarily for T-bird parts, but ended up with a lot more.

Gary Swiatowy