<VV> American Car Quality (Corvair by association)--F1 comment too

Taruffi57 at aol.com Taruffi57 at aol.com
Sat May 29 22:41:00 EDT 2010

I think that most people who have the No American Car For Me attitude  have
not spent any time with what has been built here for the last few  years.
They are holding onto opinions from before Detroit got their act  together.
I daily drive a '98 Ford V6 Explorer which has 202,000 miles on  it, and in
the 5 yrs. I have had it, the only thing that has failed is a  thermostat
and the EGR valve (plastic) assembly.  No hoses, no starter, no  alternator,
never been into the engine or transmission and I am not one to  be anal
about maint. schedules.  It has hauled big weights, been loaded A  LOT, and just
does not strand me.  Actually, I can't remember a  Corvair ever being
undependable either.  Well....I DID have to ride a  Greyhound bus once when my
old '65 Corsa 140 dropped a valve seat in BFE.

Although I have a standing attitude about buying well taken care of -
slightly older cars --(cheapskate),  I can think of several  Detroiters I would
love to own.  That Chevy Malibu and the new Buick  Regal 4 dr. would be
something I would be proud to drive.

In 2012, we are going to get major redesigns of F1 and Indy cars.   Lighter
weight and small 4 cyl turbo's engines at least for F1 and maybe also  for
Indy cars.  Racing is trying to run what the car manufacturers are  selling
and 4 cyl turbo engines are about to become the majority standard.

Turkish GP Sunday morning and Indy 500 tomorrow also.  What would it  do
for IndyCars if one of the 4 girls won it  ?????

Hey Herb, I'll buy that Rampside from you   :-)

Joe Dunlap
Florida