<VV> I'm back! Also early model engine removal question and parts needed

Ray R. (aka Grymm) vairguy at echoes.net
Mon May 31 06:30:15 EDT 2010

Greetings folks!

I've (Ray Rodriguez) been gone from this list for most of the winter due to having too much going on and being away from home a long while, so I wanted to let you all know I'm back and give you an update on my cars (further down).

My first question is:  I may be about to purchase my first early model car =) if we can agree on a price and the condition is as advertised.  The car I may be buying is currently not running and I might temporarily swap in the good engine from the 65' to make it driveable till the 65' is ready to hit the street.  I've been using the "engine only" removal method  for my late coupes where you jack up the rear of the car, unbolt from the diff/tranny and pull the engine back and out and it works GREAT for me, but I think I read that this doesn't work on early cars.  Can anyone talk to me about pulling the engine from an early the fastest/easiest way?  I pulled the complete drive train the first time I did it on the late cars and I find it to be a LOT more work... I'd rather avoid that if its possible.

Since I've been gone I finished the repaint project on my 66' Corsa 140/4 coupe driver and got the car more or less finished.  I've also made a lot of headway the past few weeks on the 66' Corsa 140/4 coupe that I had asked about parting out here, I'm glad I changed my mind... well... except that I now need to shell out the dough to buy the parts I need to complete it!  We decided on a custom yellow.... we went with "sunburst" yellow from a 2002 Lexus IS300.. its on the lighter side for a "bright" yellow, but far brighter than stock yellow.  The underside of the lids and doorjambs are already in color.. its very exciting!  We also opted to go with body color on the painted portions of the interior and that is already sprayed.

Lastly, the 65' Corsa coupe is going to be done before I know it.. possibly by the end of June if all goes well... but I'm short a bunch of parts and don't have much in the way of spare funds to buy them!  If anyone has any of the following parts available on the cheap I'd love to hear it... shipping will be an issue on the bigger stuff so it would be great if someone has them nearby.. I'm in Lake Ariel, PA... philly, NYC, and New Jersey are within driving distance for me for parts pickup.  I do have a possible lead on a parts car so I might soon report that I have gotten a hold of many of these items.... but I need:

Windshield (dont care if its tinted or not)
front bucket seats (decent black upholstery would be fantastic)  Also rear seat with decent black upholstery.  I have no front seats at all so need all trim etc. for them.
headlight bezels
at least one 65 style tail light lens (not sure if its a tail or backup light but one at least is broken)
LOTS of exterior bright trim including drip rail trim, much of the rear cove trim (and one of the plastic end pieces for the cove trim), rocker trim with mounting hardware, wheelwell trim                and some badges... one "corvair" name badge and one "corsa" name badge I think.... maybe more... and some of the windshield and backlight trim parts.
at least one halfway decent armrest
steering wheel including all parts

The following parts most likely have to be new:
black headliner
set of weatherstrips for trunk lid, engine lid, door surrounds, and the ones that go above the glass down both sides.  (dont really need the ones for the vent windows or the vertical ones for the side windows)
black carpet (decent used would be great, but unlikely to find)

I think that's all I need, but this is just from memory =)

Thanks guys, look forward to chatting with you all again.

Ray "Grymm" Rodriguez III
Lake Ariel, PA
CORSA member
66' Corsa 140/4 coupe
65' Corsa 140/4 coupe (under construction and almost done!)