<VV> Those pesky Porsche rumors

Wrsssatty at aol.com Wrsssatty at aol.com
Fri Nov 5 15:25:49 EDT 2010

My latest eBay acquisition is a tiny magazine from December 1959 entitled
"FOREIGN CAR GUIDE."  I got it for the cover story comparing the new Chevy
Corvair with the Volkswagen.  Despite the magazine's name it appears
primarily to be about Volkswagens.  Although the writers give lip service  to road
testing other "foreign" cars, the articles inevitably end up  comparing
whatever car to the Volkswagen.  Nearly all the ads are for  aftermarket
Volkswagen accessories.  They never miss an opportunity to  mention "the great Dr.
Porsche, designer of the Volkswagen."  What caught  my eye was a comment at
the end of an article entitled simply, "The  Tatra."  The writer closed by
saying; "The next best choice for a bigger  replacement for the Volkswagen
might be Chovrolet's [sic] new Corvair.  The  great Dr. Porsche might have
had a minor hand in that design, too.  But,  that's another story to be told
at another time."

Over half a century later and that story still hasn't been told!

~Bill Stanley