<VV> irregular idle

Mikeamauro at aol.com Mikeamauro at aol.com
Sun Nov 7 12:31:41 EST 2010

"...My 63 Monza 900 3-speed is plagued with an inconsistent idle after
warmup, varying between a very fast idle (~1500 RPM) and a near-stall at  about
600 rpm..."

It sounds like the throttle plates may not consistently be  finding their
"home," idle positions (as determined by  the idle speed adjustment screw
adjustments). This situation would  occur following coming off the fast idle
cams. I experienced a problem  which sounds a lot like yours: turned out to be
the screw, on one of the carbs,  which holds the linkage lever to the
throttle shaft, had worked loose. The  return spring, and all associated
linkages, were properly driving everything  towards closing the throttle plates to
the idle position. However, the last  link--the connection between the
throttle shaft and its actuating  lever--was sloppy. This allowed one of the
throttle plates to remain in the  off-idle position... most of the time. Before
finding the loose screw, in an  effort to get the idle down, I had under
adjusted the idle speed screw on the  offending carb; hence, occasionally, when
the throttle plate DID happen to  drive all the way "home" (like when
tapping the gas pedal at idle), the idle  speed was to low for a comfortable idle.
Check... If you can wiggle  the lever on the throttle shaft, side-to-side,
the connection is  loose.

Mike Mauro