<VV> Smitty's story

Gary Swiatowy gswiatowy at rochester.rr.com
Sun Nov 7 13:35:30 EST 2010

Smitty should be commended for "pressing on regardless".
When you think about it, travels in ANY automobile has its pitfalls.
Even a fresh out of the showroom vehicle can break down.
Then it can be covered under warranty, but what happens when a 3-year old
car breaks down?
Out of warranty, and stranded by the highway without warranty coverage and
at the mercy iof $85 an hour dealer "technicians".
When I went to Chicago for a convention, I had terrible carb problems on the
way there. At cruising speed I was OK, but at acceleration I was at a snails
pace. I made it there and back.
On my way to Williamsburg, my lubing the rear wheel bearings with an
installed fitting ended up[ lubing my brakes. 2 cans of brake kleen and a
bag-o-rags cured the problem in the hotel parking lot. Smitty is a cut above
the average enthusiast, and I applaud him as being one of the few who would
drive Corvairs where no-one else would for as many miles.

I have had "other" hobby cars, and am just enough of a mechanic to be able
to take them, and my vairs, on vacations I most are afraid to drive to.

Hey, AAA covers a lot of misfortunes.

Gary Swiatowy
Been on the hook once or twice