<VV> Quotations & Sarcasm; Was: Those Pesky Porsche Rumors

Wrsssatty at aol.com Wrsssatty at aol.com
Tue Nov 9 13:02:55 EST 2010

I am shocked to see that, apparently two of the brightest minds  posting on
this list have failed to realize  that in my original post I was  quoting
others and remarking sarcastically upon those quotes.  I now find  myself in
the uncomfortable position of having to defend myself.  I will  repeat my
original post at the bottom.  First I will address your comments  and
questions one-by-one:

1.  <Bill:  There is no story to tell.  If you go and  check the V-V
archives
*snip* If you don't know who Karl Ludvigsen is...well, shame on  you.>

Well, all I can say is if you question whether I know who Karl Ludvigsen is
 then you apparently don't know who I am!

2.  <I see that you have not heard Bob Benzinger say that the  good Doctor
and his company had absolutely nothing to with the Corvair's  design>

Au contraire!  I have a printed transcript of Bob Benzinger's  remarks
before CORSA conventioneers and have read the transcript many  times.

Please note that I was quoting the author of a magazine article published
in December of 1959.  If you have a bone of contention, it is with one
Howard Harrison, the author of the article, not with me.  I did, in my  original
post, make clear that I was quoting a source other than myself.   BTW, in
December of 1959 I was still packing my diaper, not writing for any car
magazines.

Perhaps my subsequent comment that <Over half a century later and that
story still hasn't been told!> was a tad too subtle in its sarcasm for even
our brightest minds.  My point was that in the nearly 51 years since the
published suggestion that Dr. Porsche had a hand in engineering the Corvair
there had not been a scintilla of evidence to bolster that claim!

Perhaps it is understandable that my bona fides as a knowledgeable Corvair
guy might be called into question.  After all, I have only been a member of
 CORSA since 1985 and my interest in Corvairs goes back only to that
fateful day  in 1963 when a brand new Monza coupe wormed its way into my family's
heart when  I was of an impressionable age.  So, please allow me to
introduce  myself.  I am the author of "Defending the Corvair:  Anderson vs.
General Motors" in the December 2000 communique; the author of "Defending the
Corvair: Kaplan vs. Goldstein vs. General Motors" in the June 2001 communique;
the author of "Defending the Corvair:  Seymour Goldstein vs. General Motors
 Corporation and Lexington Chevrolet" in the February 2002 communique and
the  author of "The Eye of The Beholder" detailing accolades garnered by the
Corvair's design in the November 2004 communique.  Those are only the
articles I've written for the communique that treat of historic matters
concerning the Corvair.  I have also written for the communique regarding  my
tracking down Corvairs in Havana, my taking my convertible on Amtrak's  AutoTrain
to and from the Daytona convention and my trip to the Lexington  convention
where I reunited my Corvair with prior owners and visited the  dealership
where it was sold when new.  I was also the videographer for the  history
presentation of David E. Davis at the Lexington convention in 2004 for  which I
was given credit when the transcript thereof was published in the
communique in January 2005 and my video tape of the history presentation at the
Buffalo convention was the source for the transcript that appeared in the
communique as "Tonawanda Engine Plant Memories" in the November 2006  issue.  My
credit appears on page 9.  I have video taped many other  historic
presentations at CORSA conventions and CORSA sanctioned events such as  last year's
dedication of Corvair items donated to the Buffalo Transportation  Museum.

So, while I certainly may defer to the experts on matters such as, say,
carburetor rebuild, I feel that, at least my interest in things historical
vis-a-vis the Corvair is, or should be, well-known.

Here's my original post that seemed to be so confusing:

<My latest eBay acquisition is a tiny magazine from December 1959  entitled
"FOREIGN CAR GUIDE."  I got it for the cover story comparing the  new Chevy
Corvair with the Volkswagen.  Despite the magazine's name it  appears
primarily to be about Volkswagens.  Although the writers give lip  service to
road testing other "foreign" cars, the articles inevitably end  up comparing
whatever car to the Volkswagen.  Nearly all the ads are for  aftermarket
Volkswagen accessories.  They never miss an opportunity to  mention "the great
Dr. Porsche, designer of the Volkswagen."  What caught  my eye was a comment
at the end of an article entitled simply, "The  Tatra."  The writer closed by
saying; "The next best choice for a bigger  replacement for the Volkswagen
might be Chovrolet's [sic] new Corvair.  The  great Dr. Porsche might have
had a minor hand in that design, too.  But,  that's another story to be told
at another time."

Over half a century later and that story still hasn't been told!

~Bill Stanley>

Thank you for letting me set the record straight.

~Bill Stanley