<VV> Clutch Cable

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 15 15:34:02 EST 2010

>Tell me about it!!!!!

Okay, I will!  DO AS JR SAID!  "Practice driving without using the
clutch (in advance) ... "

Match engine rpm with road speed for whichever gear you select, and slip
it in.  Helpful to double clutch the downshifts.  Slip it into neutral
to stop (I often still do this - save the throwout gearing for when you
need it) -- turn it off and put it in gear then crank to start up again
(starting it in gear -- a big advantage of cars that have not succumbed
to excessive legislation -- mo).

Practicing is to give you the confidence of knowing you can do it, so
when the skill is needed, you just drive on, instead of calling for a
tow in downtown LA (or someplace your phone doesn't work).  OR, you can
wait until the inevitable happens, and try to learn on the spot, knowing
that it can be done.

Don't remember braking any early cables - must have been close to home
-- but do remember breaking one a couple hundred miles away in a Corsa,
and driving it home.  Things are much easier if your car isn't hard to
start.

I learned you can do this on an old Ford 8-N tractor (no synchros --
sorta like Formula 1, but slower) when I was a budding teenager.  You
wouldn't let some kid show you up, now would you, Scotty?

Bill Strickland