<VV> Corvair engine perimeter seal installation?

Arlette Pat arlettecarl at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 15 22:04:04 EST 2010

Hi everyone,

As part of the continuing reassembly of our Corvair I recently reinstalled the new engine perimeter seal. Before commencing this installation, I looked for photos  and or information in the Corsa Tech manuals, Service manuals that might show me how this seal is correctly installed.

After having had no luck finding any photos or information, I took the new perimeter seal and held it up in the engine bay opening,  in every possible direction. I then proceeded to install it in what appeared to me to be the most logical fashion. The end result looks great and even correct, however I am beginning to believe that I may have installed it incorrectly!

Also it appears that I should have fitted the seal to the engine first (the engine has not yet been reinstalled) so to determine the correct length before installing it in the car.

Is it possible that that there are two (2) methods of installing this engine perimeter seal?

It looks to me like I might have to now purchase another new replace engine perimeter seal and then have another go at this task. But before I do I wondered if someone could show me in a photo how this engine perimeter seal is correctly installed.

I guess it’s possible that my existing installation might be OK anyway. I don’t have another Corvair within 500 miles of me that I can look at to compare!

Also I wondered if there are any accessories or parts that if left off the engine would make installing the engine easier?

Would appreciate any advice from the Corvair Experts out there.

Regards

Carl L. Kelsen
RHD 1965 Corvair Monza convertible
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia