<VV> Steering Gear Box Fluid

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Tue Nov 16 02:06:50 EST 2010

At 04:48 PM 11/15/2010, MoVair at aol.com wrote:
>Hi Folks!
>   I'm about to start a rebuild job on a steering gear box for my 65 Monza.
>All the internal parts have been cleaned. The case has been cleaned in the
>vat at the local machine shop, baked to remove the undercoating. Media
>blasted and a second trip to the vat, just to be sure all the media dust was
>removed.
>   While I was out and about, I took a trip to the local NAPA store to ask
>what kind of fluid goes in a manual steering box. Both the countermen and
>some other patrons had a few suggestions, but nothing concrete.
>   Neither the trusted Corsa Tech Guide, nor the 65 Corvair Shop Manual gave
>a definate answer.
>
>   So, fellow VV'ers... any suggestions? And how much fluid?

Some people say to use grease.   I have had good luck with STP oil
treatment or Wynns Frictionproofing, both of which pour like honey in
January and cling to metal like it was their Mama.   And no, the
steer gears did not leak.   It's kinda slow going though while trying
to fill the steer gear... far as how much, I just filled it to where
I could see the stuff puddled up through the hole.

...but that's just me.

tony..