<VV> Late Model HeadLight Switch - Problem Solved

John Howell 32chevy at 0306.org
Wed Nov 17 11:56:24 EST 2010

Problem - The instrument panel lights are not getting power from the headlight switch.

I solved the problem, the switch was ok, the previous owner had put some larger bulbs in the courtesy lights, the extra load was blowing the fuse.
I had bought the car and drove it home during the day and never turned on the lights. I put it in the garage when I got home and have been reworking it ever since. I have just recently taken it out to drive when I discovered the light problem.
I found out that the panel lights get power from the orange wire, `65 and `66 are pretty much the same.  The 12ga. Red wire brings power from the battery to the fuse block thru a 10 Amp fuse to the Orange wire to several places, one being the light switch. When the switch is pulled out to the first position power is connected to the Green wire then back to the fuse block, thru a 3 Amp fuse to the Gray wires that connect to the instrument panel lamps.

So they are working ok now, thanks for your help. It turned out to be a simple problem but not an easy one to find. You have to use the Shop Manual Wiring Diagrams and with a buzzer and multimeter trace out the circuits to fill in the missing information.

Thanks to everyone for their help.
John Howell
`66 Corsa Convertible