<VV> Head Lights Switch

jvhroberts at aol.com jvhroberts at aol.com
Wed Nov 17 15:20:10 EST 2010

The other issue with late taillights has to do with the grounds for the
sockets. I, and others, have had issues with the steel shell that the
bulb base keys into sliding loose from the housing. My best guess at
the cause is the plastic and the design was never meant to be in an
engine compartment, with the heat, oil, etc., and the plastic starts to
let go and the shell slips, losing contact.

My solution, which was essentially free, was to secure the shell with a
short sheet metal screw, outside where the bulb goes. While I had the
socket shell out, I soldered on a 16 ga. pigtail to the shell, which,
when once assembled, was connected to a lug screwed into the chassis
rail. Never has a problem again! For 10 minutes of work for each socket
and all the parts coming from my junk bucket of screws, etc., not a bad
fix!

John Roberts