<VV> ring compressors

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Wed Nov 17 16:08:28 EST 2010

In a message dated 11/16/2010 8:04:47 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
jhouston001 at cfl.rr.com writes:

Will  only be EXACTLY the right size if the sacrificed cylinder has the
same  bore as the others...  if target cylinder is standard, and the
"tool"  comes from a .060 cylinder, might not work because it won't
compress the  rings enough...  or am I thinking funny??

Jim  Houston

For reference - These Taper-feed guides are available for most  standard V8
motors. For instance, the 4" bore of a 350 chevy (Also the 302 and  327).
Also easily available are ones for .030 over, .060 over, etc. They are  made
in Aluminum and hard anodized to the correct size, tapered to compress the
rings as the piston is tapped through and into the cylinder. For the
Corvair, the likely sizing would be a standard, a .030 over and a .060  over.
Those sizes would handle 90% of the Corvair motors I have assembled. A  real
trick one would be cut away at the bottom to slide down tightly over the
outside of the cylinder top, performing it's own alignment to the cylinder  bore.

I normally use the "Take-apart" style compressor, with the "plier-like"
handle. Instead of putting the cylinder onto the installed rod/piston/ring
set,  I prefer to assemble the cylinder set off the motor, then slide it into
place while installing the rod bearings and cap. Sliding the cylinder down
over  the rings was always a heart stopper as the rings would poke out of the
cylinder  cutout at the bottom. I guess 60-63 owners have no such  qualms.

Seth Emerson

C's the Day! -  Corvair, Camaro, Corvette
San Jose, CA