<VV> Late model headlight switch - problem solved

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Wed Nov 17 19:30:32 EST 2010

In a message dated 11/17/2010 5:25:44 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
kenpepke at juno.com writes:

Past  experience tells me that a better tool is a circuit tester which has
a light  bulb.  In cars that have been around for a long time it is possible
to  have enough dust / dirt collected on the fuse to leak voltage and show
as a  working circuit even though there is less than enough amperage to
energize the  circuit!
Ken P

Ken's response is really appropriate for old cars in my  experience.  Most
electrical problems I have had with older vehicles have  been due to faulty
connections (connectors that touched but did not slide  together correctly
so they couldn't carry a proper load), corroded fuse clips  that got so hot
they melted the solder in fuse caps (the fuse filament didn't  fail, but the
solder at one end melted and broke the connection)  and corroded or rusted
ground connections that wouldn't pass enough current  (a situation where the
headlights are on low beam, but all four  are illuminated, but barely
glowing because a poor low beam  ground turns the high beams into a path to ground
through their  connection).  And I'm sure there are many others in VVdom
who have their  own experiences.

Bob Hall