<VV> Bearing problems

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sat Nov 20 14:50:29 EST 2010

In a message dated 11/20/2010 8:34:47 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
sharpiebandit06 at bellsouth.net writes:

I'm not  sure what's going on; the bearings I
bought are identical in size and  diameter for both sides and one side
slides on
while the other won't. I  measured the outer diameter of the spindle for
the
problematic side and  discovered it is 0.001" bigger that the inner
diameter of
the bearing.  Does anyone have an idea? Could I have a lemon spindle or
bearing?
Is the  spindle from a different year or car that has a different size? The
outer
bearing fit fine on both sides.

How about the older bearing race? Was it oversize, somehow? Is the contact
area on the spindle showing any material displacement. The spindles should
all  be the same. I know of no difference between years or models. GM used
that  bearing size on many millions of cars - Chevelles, etc used them. If
the bearing  in question goes on the other size okay, I would guess you have a
damaged  spindle (happen with the hub getting warped?), even if not totally
visible. I  suggest you replace both, the spindle and the hub (which I am
guessing you  already replaced).

Seth Emerson