<VV> Turbo exhaust housing heat blanket or wrapping- what'cha think?

Carlton Smith carlton55 at comcast.net
Thu Nov 25 13:26:20 EST 2010

Here is question I have not seen on the VV list before and something to
ponder as you are digesting today. ;-)

I have a 65 Corsa 180 hp turbo that appears to the bystander as stock, but
it actually has a
E-flow modification. So I can spool up and boost fairly easily.... and am
usually not shy to do so. Fun, fun , fun!

Now engine temperature is always a concern and the engine running hotter at
highway temps in particular.

If I am tooling around town and staying out of boosting my head temp gage
gets on the average up to 350-380 degrees. But if I am boosting a lot or up
on the highway going 70 mph the head temp gage can go up to 425-450 degrees.
I have talked with outer turbo owners here with completely stock turbos and
have been on road trips with them too. They all experience the same head
temps under the same driving conditions. So even though I am a boost demon
seems my head temps are normal for a turbo owner.

Now I go to a lot of car shows in the summer. I stated to notice the water
pumpers with turbochargers having the turbo exhaust housings wrapped with a
woven heat holding material. Some are just wrapped with a banding of this
material and other have sewn blankets to fit the shape of the housing.  Yes,
I understand that holding the heat in aids in a quicker boost that that is
the main concern. However, in the case of our Corvair air intake
compartments and the turbo being in there too with the exhaust housing
radiating heat like mad. Have any of you Spyder, Corsa or turbo racer guys
out there tried putting a turbo exhaust housing heat blanket on and also
wrapped the exhaust pipe within the engine compartment only. I would think
this would eliminate a lot of heated air in the engine compartment being
circulated down in the shrouded engine.

I also understand that wrapping the exhaust pipes outside of the engine
compartment do aid in retaining heat in the pipes and increasing boost.
However, out there it also can retain moisture and rust out your pipes
faster. Inside the engine compartment the rusting of pipe and housing should
not be an issue.

Since in my situation  I get all of the boost I want, all I am interested in
doing is having the engine run a little cooler.

What say ye boys!

Happy Turkey Day!

Carlton Smith
Indianapolis, IN
Circle City Corvairs
1965 Corsa Convertible- 180 Turbo (E-flow)