<VV> B-24 Assembly

AeroNed at aol.com AeroNed at aol.com
Thu Nov 25 22:12:16 EST 2010

In a message dated 11/25/2010 8:52:40 P.M. Central Standard Time,
tony.underwood at cox.net writes:

Consolidated-Vultee aka Convair, later to become a part of General
Dynamics, which is now part of Lockheed-Martin.  (I think I got all
that right... Ned?)

You're on target, Tony! General Dynamics still exists and reentered
aviation a few years ago when they bought Gulfstream, maker of large, evil
business jets.

Your assessments of the B-17 and B-24 are accurate. The B-17 was built like
 a tank while the B-24 was built lighter to be faster and carry more bombs.
B-24  did fly in Europe some, including the famous tree top raid on the
Polesti oil  refineries. They also flew the North Atlantic as the "Privateer"
for the US  Navy. That version was modified to correct the directional
stability  issues.

Now back to your regularly scheduled Corvair programming...
Ned