<VV> re-ringing

moonpie8n at comcast.net moonpie8n at comcast.net
Fri Nov 26 12:10:45 EST 2010

  HI  Ned,
    You  said  you  wanted  to  hear  good  stories.....  All  I  can  say  is  that  we  re-ringed  a  145  Corvair  over & over [back  in  the  day]. Lou  Doetch & myself  were  one  of  the  few  still  campaigning  the  145  Corvair  engine  in  the  145 cu. in,  hydroplane  class. TO  be  competitive  the  engine  had  to  be  in  the  high '90s [leakdown]. WE  just  replaced  the  stock  rings "AS  FURNISHED", and  bought  an  oversize  ring  to "FILE  FIT" the  top  ring. The  engine  had  no  cooling  fan, ... the  engine  cowl  was  a  giant  scoop  that  forced  air  over  the  engine  down  thru  the  fins , and  out  the  bottom  of  the  boat [along  with  the  exhaust  outlets  pointed  in  a  direction  to  further  assist  scavenging]. Water  was  supplie  to  a "SPRINKLER  SYSTEM"  which  sprayed  water  over  the  heads  and  cylinders. This  played  havoc  with  the  ignition... This  problem  was  solved  by  encasing  the  ignition  system  in  plastic  sheeting , and  spraying  anything  exposed  with  plastic  spray [acra-seal].  I  wish  I  could  take  credit  for  this  simple  but , efficient  system, but , it  was  my  mentor  Bill  Bunn [a  civil  engineer]  who  thought  it  up. HE  campaigned  the  boat  succesfully  for  8  years, splitting  heats  with  the  National  champion  and  record  holder  several  times. Defeating  the  popular  engine [144 cu. in.  falcon] was  easy [Bill  said] ,since  the  Corvair  had  2  carburaters , and  the  falcon  only  had  1.
    AS  far  as  the  re-ringing  job  goes, it  is  a  relatively  simple  procedure. Just  don't  leave  anything  to  chance. Double  check  all  your  measurements. Clean  and  inspect  every  piece. Look  at  the  rod  bearings  very  carefully , if  they  show  any  signs  of  wear  replace  them. When  you  replace  the  rings  you  are  increasing  the  drag  ,and  load  on  the  rod  bearings. IF  they  are  in,"LIKE  NEW" condition, then  use  them  over. IF  you  have  any  doubt  at  all , replace  them. The  increased  drag  only  lasts  a  few  hundred  miles  until  the  rings  are  "Broke  IN".
   Bob  Isaac
    Moonpie  Racing