<VV> Louvers and airflow

James P. Rice ricebugg at mtco.com
Sun Nov 28 17:08:13 EST 2010

All:  As an employee of Caterpilar's Service department many many years ago,
I had access to tempertute sticks/crayons.  I had a LM with a hopped up
Turbo, and on occasion noted the engine compartment temperture.  So one hot
90+ degree day, before leaving work, I marked up the engine sheet metal and
chassis rails and drove it.  The color change of the markings indicated
about 275 degs in several places with cyl hd temp on the guage of about 400
deg. One of the reasons I normally had the spare and tools in the trunk.

Also, again many many years ago Dave Newell showed me drawings from
Chevrolet of the air presure on EM's deck lid.  As I remember it, at normal
higway speed, the high pressur area, and hence the source of air flow, was
right over the louvers.

Also note the air flaps location on the Yenko Stinger.  According to one
source, Yenko tested the LM in a wind tunnel to determine where the high
pressure area was "at speed" and put the flaps there.  Of course, the "at
speed" speed was a lot higher than any of us would try on the street right?!

Historically Yours,
			James Rice