<VV> Virtual Vairs Video and engine removal

Karl Haakonsen cityhawk at pobox.com
Fri Oct 1 00:24:32 EDT 2010

  Thanks for the replies to my question (and thanks to those who replied
off-list.

Tim, it's 1966 Monza convertible, 110HP, PG tranny.

In answer to your other question, I plan to remove it for a few reasons.
1) the engine hasn't been run in 20 years, and only briefly then. At the
least, it needs to be thoroughly cleaned and resealed and inspected...
none of which I would like to do in my dirt driveway over the
fall/winter. This way I can work in the comfort of my basement and do a
better job. Plus there is a good chance I will need to overhaul the
engine anyway.

2) I plan to completely restore the body which needs extensive
de-rusting.... I plan to strip the car down to the bare bones and
hopefully get it up on a rotisserie if I can get my hands on one to do a
thorough job of it.

Thanks again guys!
Karl
> Hi Karl,
> I saw your original post but am not qualified to answer your question since I have seen neither video. However, if you have a LM stick shift car be very careful of the "snout" (throwout bearing shaft on differential) as any stress on this part will break it. To remedy this part differential needs to be disassembled completely and then press out/in a new part. Out of curiousity, why are you removing the powertrain? And what year, model, trans, and engine do you have?
> Timothy Shortle in Durango Colorado

Hi Karl,

I haven't seen the videos, but about 70% the same sounds like a good number to me.  The big differences are the body specific stuff like the rear grill, and the axles.  I'd think such a video would be helpful to someone who hasn't pulled a powertrain before, the basic procedure is quite similar for all Corvairs.

--Bryan