<VV> Transmission Urban Legend

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Fri Oct 1 22:39:01 EDT 2010

 Charles Said
> It was my understanding that the Saginaw was a 'cost cutting' maneuver for
> GM, to share parts with the intermediates (Chevellle, Nova, etc) that had
> V8's which is why they were so much stronger ?
>  Or is that an urban legend ?
Smitty Says:    Hardly worth mentioning and I am surprised you would find
that unusual.  There were dozens if not hundreds of parts on Corvairs shared
with other models and divisions in the company.  Consider adjustable
steering columns, wiper motors, light and wiper switches. brakes, wheel
bearings as just a few cost cutting and off the shelf items.  Using a
transmission that research and development had already been done on was just
good business.