<VV> 51 Anniversary

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 3 12:09:41 EDT 2010

I reattached the electric fuel pump in its original location on the
rail above the driver's rear wheel last weekend in order to run the
gas out of the tank before attempting to change the location to the
front.  I drove it yesterday to the monthly NTCA meeting in Irving,
Tx. which is a 40 mile round trip on the expressway.  It was my first
chance to attend a meeting in six months. That was so much fun after
passing by it on jackstands for the last six weeks.  It ran
flawlessly.  Well, it ran flawlessly until I got home.  I backed it up
to put in the child car seats to take the family to the park.  My
driveway has an uphill slant into the garage, and I mistakenly backed
into position on the slant.  It idled for about three minutes before
it just died.  I let it roll across the alley to the neighbor's level
driveway in order to allow the pump to refill the bowls.  The pump ran
and ran, but the bowls apparently never filled as there was no gas
going to the venturi.  I tried to get the car to start for the next
thirty minutes.  The pump ran continuously but gas never got to the
carbs.  I tapped on the carbs with a rubber hammer to unstick the
floats.  Finally, I just got on top of the rear quarter panel with my
hands and bounced the car up and down.  It immediately stopped the
loud "filling" pumping sound and made the lower "full line" pumping
sound. It started right up.  I took the huge gamble of loading the
wife and kids into the car and headed to the park.  My wife got to
drive the car for the first time.  We then went to the Sonic for
burgers and fries... very 60'ish.  It was, overall, a very enjoyable
51st anniversary.

Stephen Upham
'65 Monza hardtop PG  A/C  AM/FM  OBF  Sierra Tan / Saddle
The Original Four Door Sports Car
NTCA / CORSA
Dallas, TX.