<VV> Electric fuel pump

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Mon Oct 4 00:43:24 EDT 2010

As Seth says, there are different pump types that do things differently,
but in general, it is better to push a liquid than pull it. In broad
terms, you can only suck water up 32 feet. That is the limit for
atmospheric pressure to push the water into the vacuum (or lower
pressure) area created by the pump 32 feet above the top of the liquid.
Confused? Think well pump on top of the ground or pump on top of a
building. These pumps cannot suck water more than 32 feet up. Shallow
well up to 32 feet deep, no problem. 50 foot well? A jet pump or
submersible is the answer, not a suction pump.

In car terms, since most are less than 32 feet high, the suction of the
fuel will work, but since the fuel is going into a lower pressure area
(the line before the suction pump) it is much more susceptible to vapor
lock. remember, liquids boil at a lower temperature at lower pressure,
Boyle's law I think.

So, proper mounting is pump below the top of the fuel level (not an old
wives's tale, but proper installation), but it can work with the pump
higher most of the time, just no guarantees.

As far as different pump designs go, remember the well pumps you had to
prime to get to work? Those didn't pump air worth beans! This design
would never suck air through a dry fuel line, yet they are a fluid pump.

Frank DuVal