<VV> Carburetor odyssey - different kinds of idle mixture needles ?

Charles Lee Chaz at ProperProper.com
Tue Oct 5 23:29:28 EDT 2010

My carbs feel unbalanced, so I pulled them after "rebuilding" them (minot
rebuild kits from AutoZone ~~ should have bought them from one of our trusty
vendors, I know ~!)

A) Only one thin manifolod gasket per kit, so I need another pair to
"sandwich" them as advised by Bob Helt's great book.

Can I make these out of something I have around the house ?  Could I buy the
extra pair and install them later when the Pony Express arrives ?

B) I also read in there that there are several kinds of idle mixture
needles, anbd wouldn't you know, I have three (3 !) different kinds in four
(4) carbs (2 original, and 2 that were claimed to have been rebuilt
previously)

Two of these needles are the "stilletto" version, the longest one, and one
of each of the other shapes.

So, I used the only two that matched, but don't know from wheich body each
came ?

Does each shape of needle require a different internal "shape" or different
sized hole to fit correctly ?

It seems that all that really matters is that they match, side to side ?

Would this change the number of turns to back out, since it seems that
shorter, stubbier needles will have difference internal clearances than the
thinned, longer needles ?

Thanks

Charlie