<VV> remote high speed adjustment

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Sun Oct 10 00:05:31 EDT 2010

At 17:09 10/09/2010 -0400, ken campbell wrote:

>have any of youse guys ( gals ) ever figured out , in reality, a remote
>mounted ( as on the rear cove , or maybe top of engine hood ) gadget for
>setting externally the high speed mixture.  would make trying alcohol fuels
>pretty simple.
>
>EFI, of course makes this simple, or even such as Hilborne injection, which
>uses a variable pellet, or variable valve, in the return line from the fuel
>regulator, to change pressure that feeds the injectors ...
>
>but I am thinking about using the corvair stock carbs, with some simple
>modification ( as needed ) to easily adjust the high speed mix.   I think
>the idle, if set a little rich, would probably cover a whole range of alky
>mixes.

In the last days of carburetors, before fuel injection took over, mixture
adjustment was done using a solenoid (duty cycle) operated power enrichment
valve.  A carburetor so equipped was jetted lean, then an O2 sensor was
used to provide feedback for adjusting the power valve solenoid duty cycle
which added fuel to obtain "optimum" fuel mixture.  Perhaps you can find
the power enrichment valve from one of these (a Q-jet perhaps) that can be
adapted to the HV.                       As I recall, these systems also
used an analog control module to operate the PEV.

I hope this helps.  Good Luck!!

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI