<VV> OBD-II for Corvair to make Corvairs less "aromatic" ?

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Sun Oct 10 00:17:52 EDT 2010

At 17:09 10/09/2010 -0400, Charlie wrote:

>I have heard on VV that Corvairs (and other air-cooled engines) are not good
>candidates for meeting air quality requirements due to the high
>temperatures, (and poor construction tolerances ?)

It is not so much the operating temperature, but the wide range of
operating temperatures that occur between idle, coast, cruise,
acceleration, etc for an engine that is, for all practical purposes,
"warmed up."  This necessitates rather loose tolerances--by design--to
account for thermal expansion of the various parts.

>It seems like you have done a lot of research and we might all benefit from
>this to make Corvairs less "aromatic" ?
>
>I can smell "classic" cars when they drive by me, and know that my Corvair
>(also a 1967 Monza 110 PG) also does, and would like to remedy that.

Beyond making adjustments to the carburetor jetting, you might consider
installing a universal fit catalytic converter in the exhaust system.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI