<VV> Sun roof on EM

kenharri at comcast.net kenharri at comcast.net
Sun Oct 10 22:29:32 EDT 2010

Greetings,

I have been curious about the "large" sun roof on the early model.  In the CORVAIR BY CHEVROLET, Experimental & Production Cars 1957 - 1969 by Ludvigsen , page 57 , there is a photo of the Sebring Spyder at the GM Technical Center on July 12th, 1961.  With it is a line of about 30 corvairs, both '60 and '61 models (I assume they are employee cars). The 3rd, 9th and 10th cars in line appear to have the large sunroof installed.

Were there a dealer installed option or aftermarket?  I can remember seeing similar ones installed on later VW Vans. If anyone can enlighten me about these, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Kent Harrington

'64 Greenbrier Daily Driver

'63 Monza Vert

I desire to Greenbrier

 Re: <VV> 1962 Monza seen at Hershey

At 09:26 PM 10/9/2010, Tom Gilbertson wrote:

>I saw a very special '62 Monza at Hershey today.  It is a black on
>black 102hp 4 speed coupe.  It had a large ragtop sunroof which I
>was told was dealer installed when the car was new.  It certainly
>looked like it.  It was extremely well done and very large.  Has
>anyone ever heard of this? in all of my years of following these
>cars I've never seen anything like it.  It also had an aftermarket
>tach fitted to the steering column just like the one I remember my
>brother installing in his '63 coupe when it was new.  It also had
>lucas lights in the high beam position.  this car was obviously
>modified when it was new and it looked terriffic.
>
>It was a really well maintained original car and obviously very special.

Bob Marlow Wrote:

"The car lives in New Jersey and the owner is a member of my local
chapter.  The car has been in my local club longer than the owner, as
prior owners have been club members, also.

Anyway, the sunroof is branded, as I recall, "Golde," and indeed was
installed when the car was new or very close to new.  It is far and
away the best sunroof installation I have ever seen on a Corvair."