<VV> Drove my corvair....alot

constance marie constancemarie1965 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 10 23:47:58 EDT 2010

Since I bought the 65 Corsa convertible over 4 years ago in its dismantled
state, I have wanted to jump in, solo, and just drive.  I was always too busy,
too broke, or something or another.  The car has always run perfectly...Until
two weeks before my finally attainable road trip.

After much troubleshooting and much help from others, the left primary carb was
rebuilt and it was pretty much back to normal.  With the help of
motorcycleroads.us I decided to go to Northern Arkansas.  I'm glad that I did.
I'm estimating about 1200 miles total in four days (speedo cable is still on the
to do list).  On the hunt for the best curves.

It developed a strange flutter noise, over the engine noise.  Seemed to be
coming from the fan belt.  I probably could have changed it, but chose not to
since there was a nice little shop in Strafford, MO to handle it.  It wasn't the
fan belt.  Push on the fuel pump and the noise stopped.  Tightened it up and
back to normal.  This little roadside shop ended up having an early convertible,
with AC in the back.  It ran a year ago.  Body rough.  Looks like lots of good
stuff though.  Somebody has put $50 down on it, the owner doubts they'll be
back.  It is wasting away.  $12 later, I'm back on the road.

The next day.  Lost a quart of oil.  Never done that before.  Took it to a quick
change oil shop who determined it was the driver side valve cover area.  Made
sense, cover came off to check the rockers during troubleshooting.   Gasket
appeared fine then.  Bought extra oil and continued on.

I am so glad I bit the bullet and made this trip.  All because I got the itch to
own a corvair like I had always said I would.  Here are some highlights of the
trip.  If you have the itch to take a road trip, I highly recommend it.

Two Men and a Truck got the idea from Two Men with Wrenches north of Sparta.
Shop Labor is charged “per minute” in Lower Missouri/Upper Arkansas and
completed with an Egg McMuffin in one hand.
There is a river named “One hundred and Two”.
Hustler is still sold out in the open in parts of Missouri.
Some counties still think they should decide where alcohol can be sold.  They
learned this in church.
Never accept a room over the bar in a refurbished 20’s era hotel.
Trust your instincts, that’s why you have them.
People are not what you think they are.  The Amish will smile and wave at a 45
year old convertible from their horse and buggy.
Truman Lake is as beautiful as I remembered.
Ferry’s are wonderfully relaxing.
“Whatever blows your hair back”
“Ur engin’s in ur trunk, ain’t it?”
The best way to like yourself is to spend some time together.
Rednecks in Russellville think the offer of Mardi gras beads is an acceptable
conversation starter.
A man named Don is solely responsible for supplying all Route 66 Souvenirs
between California and Joliett, IL.  He won’t go to Chi town….too rough.  He has
done this for 28 years.  He drives a Honda Fit.
The guys at Speedee Lube are more than happy to pinpoint your new oil leak.
Then tell you to “keep her full and go have a ball”.

There are some non-corvair owners who think Nader should have been shot.
One bottle of wine per night should be sufficient.
If you stop to appreciate something alongside the road you don’t have back home,
kindred spirits will always stop to make sure you’re alright.  These spirits
usually arrive on motorcycles.
Lots of people think Corvairs are extremely rare and expensive.
A third and a half gear from GM would come in very handy in the Ozarks.
State Hwy 125 thru Mark Twain Forest and Highways 7 and 123 thru Ozark National
are meant to be driven….hard, and after tourist season.
Though you have to go home again, it will make it all worth it.

Connie
Back in Iowa