<VV> EFI / DIS /ECU / OBDII vs Points and carbs..

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 13:34:31 EDT 2010

Thanks Matt, I understand your point of view. I drove my original Corvair
180K miles with few repairs and only one or two breakdowns, a fuel pump and
a broken generator. The basic engine core is very reliable as designed.

I'm doing the conversion to EFI, because I want to. Because it challenges me
intellectually. Because I want that existing reliable engine to be the best
I can make it. I want my wife to be able to drive it without having to
remember the little quirks it takes to get it started hot. So, there it is.

People do mods because they want to. There are some mods that do make the
cars more reliable. My EM had a generator. It was troublesome on my first
car, so this one now has a alternator. I was doing continual tune ups and
points adjustments it seemed, and the plugs required changing every 20K
miles or sooner, or they would start to cut out. So, the pertronix II and
platinum plugs of today has been a good addition.

The EFI is a choice. We all have our reasons for what we do, and thats just
fine. The thought process to do EFI is no different than wanting to change a
stock car to different wheels or tires, and adding disc brakes, or a Tach to
a car that does not have one. You do it because you want to "fix it up in
some way". Some changes take a bit of time, others you pay someone else to
do for you. The choice is yours.

but above all Enjoy yourselves in the process. :):)

Mark Durham