<VV> Old EFI system on a Corvair

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Wed Oct 13 21:50:29 EDT 2010

The originator of this swap was Milton Binion - pretty sure it was a 280Z, not a 260.  He wrote a quite involved piece for the Communique, which I believe was put into the Tech Guide.  Milton wrote several other tips that were put in the Tech Guide as well.

One of our club members here did the conversion to one of his cars, and got parts and advice from Milton.  Jeff did very good work and the install looked and started very nicely, but the engine really didn't run right at speed.  He and I discussed it at length, IMHO the Z system was poorly suited for a Corvair since the engine characteristics were wildly different - compare the torque curves even casually and you'll see what I mean.  The Datsun engine is tuned to a much higher power peak and the curve is quite a bit peakier, the cam profile and the bore/stroke is different.

The Fiero conversion that Craig Nicol did, OTOH, is a much better match, the GM 2.8 V-s has a very similar power curve to a Corvair, the cam profile is very close to the same, and so is the bore/stroke ratio.  Craig's results sound really good.

--Bryan