<VV> New Models of Gardner/Grice Aussie Corvair Sedan Racer

Dave Newell chevrobilia at juno.com
Thu Oct 14 00:00:33 EDT 2010

Hi,
I'm happy to announce the surprise arrival of two new and very unusual Australian 1/43 scale Corvair models...the Frank Gardner Sedan Racing Corvair as sponsored by John Player and its second incarnation as Allan Grice's ride under Craven sponsorship. This car and its drivers are legends down under, and swept almost every Sports Sedan race in which they were entered between 1975 and 1979. Powered by a Repco-Holden 308 V8 -- a cousin of the small-block Chevy -- the car used Formula 5000 chassis components modified from a Lola but retained the '65 Corvair steel body with fiberglass hood and trunk lids.

Now there will be resin collector's models of these famous Corvairs, fully assembled in a display box and available as either the Gardner Player version or Allan Grice's Craven car. The best news is that they were designed by noted automotive designer Raffi Miniasian, who did such as masterful job designing the Automodello Fitch Phoenix model that just came out. The racers will be just as nice and are really works of art.

The downside is that the Aussie model maker behind the cars, "Model 56", is only making them available for the down under market. But Raffi has pried loose a precious few for us rabid Corvair model buffs in this hemisphere: FIVE to be exact. Please don't think of this as an ad and kick it off VV, 'cause it's really just a favor from Raffi and a nod of friendship to us. He's not making any money. And he's working on still more Corvair models right now.

You have to apply the Player & Craven decals yourself. The cars come with all the other decals in place but rather than pad the coffers of cigarette companies to get their licenses, the cig decals come on a sheet with each model. The price is $100 plus $7.50 per order, and yes, you can order one of each version but please don't ask to take all five!

Please email me at chevrobilia at juno.com and I'll confirm your order and give you Raffi's address so you can send him a check. But remember, there are only FIVE available to North American Vair nuts, so you'd better move quickly.

I can send you photos of the models with all their decals in place if you email me.

Here are some fun links:

The Model 56 web site:

http://www.models56.com.au/products.html

Gardner Corvair history, excerpted from the "41 out of 49" book that John Player published:

http://v8racecar.wordpress.com/2010/01/09/frank-gardners-john-player-racing-corvair/

Gardner & Grice Corvair history from our own V8 Vairs:

http://www.v8vairs.com/images/GardnerFrank/FrankGardner.htm

And...Frank Gardner's website with some neat Vair photos:

http://frankgardnerracing.com/Text/1261524623231-4116/pC/1248917963707-8276/

Thanks...I hope you think this car is as interesting as I do. At least a few of you will have a chance to own these beautiful models.

Dave Newell