<VV> Diagnose engine "knock" ? valve seat damage

Charles Lee Chaz at ProperProper.com
Sat Oct 16 01:35:34 EDT 2010

Wow !  I would have bet that # 3 would have an obvious indication of valve
seat damage, but it does not show any valve seat displacement ?
www.yourbuyersinn.com/Cars/Corvair/1967MonzaCylinderHeadRemoval.htm#CombustionChambers

I'm still convinced that #3 vale seat was the cause of my "knocking" when
the engine wasn't even warm enough to do that ?
Would the area around the valve be worn if the seat was loose ?

The combustion chamber is wet though and the top of # 1 and # 5 are chock
full of carbon, probably from messing with the carburetors, trying to get
them right.

Any ideas ?   I've never removed valves before, so what do I need to know
that will surprise me if I try this ?

Thanks again guys !
Charlie