<VV> Battery

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 19 01:08:04 EDT 2010

>I have a question about the 51R. Doesn't that put the battery terminals in the
>wrong place? Shouldn't the posts be outboard, not inboard (closer to the
>engine)?

I was thinking along those lines when I went out and bought a Group 51
(the "R" in 51R stands for Reversed, as in the terminals are the other
way around from a standard 51 - otherwise they are dimensionally the
same) for my 1960 -- I think I would have been happier with a 51R, but
the 51 works and clears, even with the top mounted battery cut-off
switch.  Remember that the Sixties have the battery on the other side.

As I said, there seems to be good reason why everyone reccomends the
51R.  But, if you want the terminals on the other side, a 51 (plain)
will do just that.

Bill Strickland