<VV> Battery

Frank Ness aircoolvair at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 19 09:56:00 EDT 2010

Thank you to all who replied.

Regards,
Frank

----- Original Message ----
From: William Hubbell <whubbell at verizon.net>
To: Chris & Bill Strickland <lechevrier at earthlink.net>
Cc: "virtualvairs at corvair.org" <virtualvairs at corvair.org>
Sent: Tue, October 19, 2010 5:56:24 AM
Subject: Re: <VV> Battery

Look at it this way:
The original battery was a Group 53:    13"L    x 4-11/16"W x 8-1/4"H
The replacement battery is Group 51:  9-3/8"L x 5-1/16"W  x 8-13/16"H

The replacement battery is shorter (front to rear), wider (left to right) and
taller than the original. That means that if you keep the terminals on the left
(outboard for '61-'64) side (which would be a Group 51) they will be further
away from the ends of the cables than with a Group 53.  Using a group 51R moves
the posts to the right (inboard for '61-'64) side and thereby closer to the
cable ends.

So if you use an original size battery (53) the cables DO reach to the outboard
side, but if you use the group 51 they don't, so you need to move the terminals
closer by using group 51R

Hope this clears things up!

Bill Hubbell