<VV> Air Fuel ratios concerns

Daniel Monasterio dmonasterio at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 20 11:44:32 EDT 2010

Guys,

I am making final checkings on the BB (Bluebrier) for her first road trip (some 500 miles) after a 3 1/2 years restoration. Have been driving her for 200 miles by the past 4 months on city driving only using an in dash wide band AF gauge, for my first time, and it's readings gave me some concerns:

1.- At idling, in neutral (700 rpm), I tuned her to 14 - 14.7 (readings have variations) but, in drive (at stop lights) they go to 16 - 17.
2.- At steady speeds on flat surface (say 45 MPH) gauge reads 13.5 - 14.8 but, at accelerating, readings go up to 15 -16. At decelerating readings go down to 11.5 - 12.5.

I know that a perfect reading should be 14.7 all time and carburetors are not capable to keep precise control. I understand too, that at accelerating, could get a leaner condition while at decelerating the mix could be richer.

What I don't know is if my readings variations are in an acceptable range or can be improved.

What do you think ?

Daniel Monasterio