<VV> Do I have crank problems ?

Charles Lee Chaz at ProperProper.com
Sun Oct 24 22:58:52 EDT 2010

Hi Harry,

I'm not sure why you say that, since the reason that I'm asking questions is
to be "sound and analytical" ~ admitting I have know idea what I'm doing,
except to ask those who DO know, and have been here before me.

I bought a new set of micrometers and an inch/lb torque wrench today as well
as building a work place to do the serious work that lies ahead.

I'll get some Plasti-gauge tomorrow, which it seems is to determine what
size bearings I need to buy, I need bearings anyway from the exposure of the
copper substrate ?

I guess the "sound" approach is to do everything that could possibly need
doing, and even have someone do it for me, who knows how, to be certain it's
done right.

That's not my chosen option, because I want to learn how to do it, since
this may happen a lot, trying to keep a car breathing 30+ years after its
expected lifetime !

As I said (here and previously), I don't mind doing it again if necessary,
when I deem the rest of the car worthy of a complete ($$$) engine rebuild,
using this go 'round as practice, as long as I get some driving behind me,
to test our the rest of the work I've done (brakes, steering, carbs, etc,
etc).

So, if it's not perfect, that's OK, and can I go deeper ? Sure but, mostly I
just don't want to do what I am doing, wrong.
Since there's a good chance that I will be doing this again, I figure I can
replace ALL the bearings on both sides next time, and get this baby running.

Heck, driving it another 4 miles will cut my $$ per mile cost down to only
$150 / mile !!!!

Thanks for the insights !
Charlie