<VV> Need some help on a 1968 smog engine

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Thu Oct 28 12:05:53 EDT 2010

Hi everyone,
I've got some questions for anyone who has ever had one or more smog
engines apart and looked at the combustion chambers. I haven't had one of these
engines apart for years and old age has dampened my memory.........

If you will take a look at the link below, Tom has taken the head off  his
1968 110 hp engine and has posted some photos about half-way down the blog
(ignore the rest of the blog). (click on the photos to expand them)

I looks like the head has a small squish area at the side of the combustion
 chamber opposite the spark plug. I don't remember a squish area ever being
in  the smog heads. I always thought that the smog heads had a totally open
chamber.  Can anyone confirm this squish being in some or all smog heads?

Also it looks like the pistons have a flat area to match this squish area
in the head. Is this stock?

Thanks for any help
Regards,
Bob Helt