<VV> Opening trunk lid

kevin nash wrokit at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 30 19:26:59 EDT 2010

 > Message: 8
> Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 16:24:44 -0400
> From: "Smitty" <vairologist at cox.net>
> Subject: <VV> Opening trunk lid
> To: <virtualvairs at corvair.org>
>
> Smitty Says; Kevin I am sure you will get plenty of advice to remove a
> headlight bucket and reach inside the trunk with a 7/16 socket and ratchet
> to remove the lock/loop. The one thing lots of folks are not aware of is
> the bucket is not only held in by sheetmetal screws under the bezel, but
> there is also a quarter inch stud in the middle of the bucket extending back
> into the fender area. Ususlly buried in undercoating. You can see the head
> of the stud from outside centered between the headlights. Have fun.

Smitty- I was able to get the headlight bucket out, and was able to get vise
grips on that rectangular thing that is normally driven by the key, so as to
"help" rotate the key cylinder. I have a couple of parts cars and practiced
on them first, before trying it on my driver car. Once I was satisfied that I
could rotate the rectangular thing without damaging it, I managed to get
the trunk lid open. It never occurred to me to unbolt the loop!
Kevin Nash