<VV> Theoretical recommendations.

Charles Fregeau n5hsr at sprynet.com
Wed Sep 1 18:31:41 EDT 2010

All magnesium?  Isn't that a bit dangerous?  I remember in high school our
physics teacher got a ribbon of magnesium and made us wear goggles while he
lit it and boy did it ever burn. . . .  I know the filament in the old flash
bulbs was mostly magnesium and 'flash powder' was also mostly magnesium.
(Yes I had a camera at one time that took flash bulbs.  M2 and M2B if I
remember correctly.  And a camera that took flashcubes.  Hey, I took my
driver's test on that 700 coupe and drove it for a year before the test and
several months afterward before Dad sold it.  I've got a bit of a soft spot
in my heart for old Tadpole.)

I know in later years, if someone wanted to build something light like that,
they would often use an alloy of aluminum and magnesium, the reason being
aluminum gets soft at high temps if not alloyed and magnesium is flammable
alone.

I was also told that some of the parts changes were not made on the boundary
between model years.

I was also told by an experienced Corvair owner I know that we shouldn't
have had to replace the belts as often as we did, that the mechanic we had
in those days was overtightening the belts a bit.  (We always carried a
spare belt, just because.)

I was at the orphan car picnic Saturday and saw some interesting 'upgrades'.
A lot of EM's had been upgraded to alternators, for instance.  I saw a
couple that were using the LM single air filter.

Charles