<VV> Problem with a 140 head

Edelstein and Payne eandp at mindspring.com
Thu Sep 2 08:54:21 EDT 2010

Folks,

     My son and I are building a somewhat modified 140 engine to go in his 65 Monza.  Some years ago we had Rick of Corvair Motorsports up in Virginia, re-work the heads with new deep seats, new valves, multi-angle valve job and Iskendarian dual springs, among other things.  Well some months ago we finally got around to starting to assemble the motor — you know how it goes, these projects take a lot longer than you expect because life gets in the way.  Well anyway, one of the things that we did to check that the valves sealed okay was to squirt distilled water into the intake and exhaust ports of the fully assembled head to check for leaks.  One head was fine, but on the other one several valves (mostly intake as I recall) leaked water REAL BAD.  We have disassembled the head and spent considerable time tying to lap in the valves, but they still leak.  It may require a new multi-angle valve job, or maybe the seats were installed improperly and the water is somehow leaking around them.  Who would folks suggest that I send the head to to have the problem fixed?

                      Many thanks for your help,

                           Travis Payne      65 Monza coupe
                           Raleigh, NC       65 500 coupe