<VV> Musings on GM, was: Salesmen---No Corvair

Karl Haakonsen (cityhawk@pobox.com) karlhaakonsen at comcast.net
Fri Sep 3 12:33:06 EDT 2010

One just knew that this would spark a debate. :-)

I have been critical of GM for the past 35 or so years, even though I have owned more GM cars than any other brand (possibly more than the others combined). Mark is right about the Malibu (though I wish it came in a wagon version -- sort of a pet peeve of mine with respect to the auto industry in America -- the dearth of affordable wagon versions of sporty sedans).

I will miss Saturn. I have bought three of them, two S-series wagons and an L series wagon. I still have two of them. GM did bumble the whole Saturn idea and lost a loyal bunch of customers.

Yet, I still miss the bowtie. With the exception of my Corvair (which I have yet to actually drive), the last Chevy I had was a 1963 Chevy pickup which I got rid of in 1984. If I buy any new cars in the future, I would likely go (reluctantly) with a minivan. Curiously, GM doesn't make a minivan at the moment (as far as I can tell, the only ones currently available are from Honda, Toyota, Kia and Chrysler).

The thing is, however, that today's minivans are about as exciting as a toaster. I have actually considered taking a Greenbrier and restoring and modernizing it into the family minivan. I might even have spousal support for such an endeavor after i finish my convertible.

Karl