<VV> New plug gap?!

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Sat Sep 4 14:17:11 EDT 2010

In a message dated 9/4/2010 9:51:34 A.M. Mountain Standard Time,
roder314 at yahoo.com writes:

I just  installed a patronix Ign with the hot coil, I reset set my plug gap
at 39
thousands is that ok? Everything I read said that with the 40,000 coil i
could
open up the gap for a bigger spark, is this gap ok? It is on a 110
power-glide
engine.

Hello Joe,
Well, a couple of problems there.

First unless you are using special plugs, your std Corvair ones are
designed to have the ground electrode EXACTLY parallel to the flat portion of  the
center electrode. If it isn't, then the spark will jump off the edge of the
 flat portion and wear away that edge increasing the gap rapidly.

Next you have subcombed to marketing hype. The actual dynamic test of a
Pert 40K coil showed a max of about 25K volts which is just that produced by
the  LM
200 GM coil. So you really have gained nothing there. The Pert I may
develop a higher voltage due to it's design, but it will develop the same
voltage with a std coil as with the 40K one.
Regards,
Bob Helt