<VV> Corvair Value - Jay Leno "influence"

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sun Sep 5 10:49:47 EDT 2010

>Anyway, explain to me why a Corvair - any Corvair, except, maybe, the Monza
>  GT or SS - should bring more than $10,000. Would the person who pays more
>than  that be more likely to join a Corvair Club, or bring their car out to
>a meeting,  or autocross their car -(showing it's better traits)?  I only
>hope  they lose their shirts on the deal - again, not speaking of the
>cheerleader,  here - just the speculator.

I keep noticing people at local shows who bring out cars that are
never seen except at those shows.   Not just Corvairs but other marques.

I saw one guy with a meticulously detailed vintage Packard who was SO
proud of the car but never even started it, just wenched it onto and
off of the enclosed trailer it rode around inside, to and from.   I
asked him if he ever actually drove it anywhere and he said
"Never.  If I drive it anywhere it will lose value."

I simply said "OK" and smiled and moved on.

In my opinion, his car is a worthless collection of shiny parts which
serves no useful purpose other than to be shown off like a trophy
wife, with no reason to exist other than to please its owner and
acquire monetary net value among those who would never drive it in
the first place.   It has ceased to be a car and is now a piece of
unwearable jewelry that stays under lock and key 95% of the time.

And that's sad.

My hat goes off to the fellow who owns that million-dollar '63
Ferrari 250 GTO who races it in vintage car races in Britain and runs
it HARD, stating up front that those cars were intended to be raced
not hoarded and he runs it with full intention of winning every race
in which it participates.   If it doesn't win, "...It's not going to
be because the car was mollycoddled."   I watched one race on tv in
which this same car ran, and it ended up swapping some paint in a
tight corner with another vintage racer (Maserati, I think) which,
with the same determination as the GTO's driver, insisted upon
getting through the corner first.   The GTO was on the outside and
came out on the short end of that stick and ended up sliding off the
track and into a ditch and got bent up.   Afterwards, comments were
that the car would get replacement sheet metal and restored and raced
again, because "That is its purpose.  Anything else is a waste of its
existence."

I also still remember the local chapter member here who drove a
modified white '65 Monza coupe (license plate "65 Z-28") to the
Asheville convention and entered it in Concours in 'Modified' class
and got 2nd place... and all he did was hose it off after pulling
into the host motel parking lot.

Sure, it's not a 75 year old Packard but it did still provide driving
enjoyment as well as taking home a trophy from the Nats.

I'm not really condemning anybody who builds (or buys) a Hanger
Queen.   I just have a differing opinion and viewpoint of what a
vintage car is supposed to be.   A lot of those cars in some shows
won't even run; pushed to where they're shown and then pushed back
into car carriers.  (Not the cars at Pebble Beach- THEY have to drive
through the reviewing stands ;) )

The Boeing B-29 "Enola Gay" in the Smithsonian aerospace museum wing
at the airport is fully functional, operational, airworthy, and
flyable.   It was not intended to be a hanger queen although its
actual chances of being flown anywhere are slim and few and far
between.  But, it CAN be flown anywhere, having been not just
cosmetically restored but FULLY rebuilt, avionics, mechanicals,
everything.   Like those cars at Pebble Beach... ;)   It's all in the
eyes of who did the work and what they expected of the end result.

If I was somehow in a position to INHERIT a vintage show car that was
worth a small fortune but was not roadworthy, I'd not rest until it
WAS.  Such a non-operable showpiece would hang in my craw, simply
because it was in my opinion incomplete unless it worked.

Sure did go off on a tangent here... when the topic was, for all
intents and purposes, "Is any Corvair worth 10 grand?"   Sure,
certainly, to someone somewhere.  But not to me because I can't
afford to drop 10K on a Corvair no matter if it was '69 #6000.   Oh I
would if I could.   If I could afford it I'd pop 10K easy for Allen's
Stinger... which IMHO is sure worth a good bit more.  ;)

But I bet that car gets driven.

Here's to driving through the reviewing stand at Pebble Beach... ;)

tony..