<VV> "Savvy Marketing"

Byron Comp byron.comp at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 5 20:26:29 EDT 2010

Ya know, I hesitate to weigh in on this discussion because I'm still a relative
newbie to 'Vair-ing. I rescued a '64 Monza Vert 3 yrs ago 'cause I thought it
would make a great show car (Concours?) as well as an investment vehicle (pun
intended) with which to have fun while making some money. I've now been
thoroughly disabused of that latter notion. While I've done as much of the
restore/improve as my knowledge/ability base will allow, in order to have it
look as good as it can (NO, it WON'T be a daily driver, but it will run under
it's own rebuilt drivetrain and hopefully place in a few autocrosses before I
try to sell it), I've had the finish body work done by a professional (I
installed the floor panels, replacement hood, lower door skins, all four fender
pieces, myself, all ROUGH body work) and he will also do the paint job.  I also
had a 'Vair mechanic replace the throw-out bearing stub 'cause I didn't feel
competent taking the diff. apart and putting it back together without screwing
it up, as well as checking out the engine (needed new rings and push rods, ONLY)
and trans. (Healthy).

When it's done I'll have somewhere northwards of $15K invested in it. Will I
ever get it back? NO!! But I certainly won't take less than $10K, so don't bug
me with salt & pepper for my shirt, Seth!

But what really set me off on this was the post below. I don't know you, Matt,
and probably never will, although I've appreciated many of your responses on
this forum. But to take advantage of someone "just starting out" for an
additional $385 over what you honestly believed the product to be worth is not
"market savvy," it's unscrupulous, and in my humble opinion, immoral. So if we
meet sometime at a convention, remind me to count my fingers when we part, if
I've been foolish enough to shake your hand.

Byron Comp
'64 Monza Vert
Gainesville, FL

<