<VV> Fuel Pump Woes

Bill H. gojoe283 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 6 14:59:02 EDT 2010

                                                                            B"H

Hi everone!  Best wishes for a happy Labor Day!

Well, I finally got bitten by the nasty fuel pump bug that seems to making the
rounds again.  I've been through 3 stock-style

fuel pumps over the last couple of months, yesterday the raw gas smell was so
bad in the car that the wife threw up in the car!  On the way

home from a nice dinner at a restaurant for my b'day.  When I checked the
engine, I saw the telltale puffs of smoke coming from the (new) pump.
Got one more spare that I bought last month from Clark's.  It has hex hold-down
bolts instead of slotted screws.  I'll give that one a shot, but I'm hearing
some stories of those being just as bad.

Anyway, before she makes me get rid of the Monza, I'd like to know:

1. if anyone understands how to fix those defective fuel pumps?  I read the
recent CORSA Communique article on it, but I don't understand how you're
supposed to mash the metal to keep the diaphrgm in place.

2.  Is there any way of identifying a defective fuel pump by the tag?

3.  Also, if I'm forced to, can anyone recommend a reasonably-priced electric
fuel pump along with any other suggestions for retrofitting such a pump
to a 69?

If I can't stop the car from those nasty smells, I'm afraid I"m gonna have to
put her up for sale, and soon!

Best regards...Bill Hershkowitz 69 Monza Coupe 110 PG