<VV> Sound and heat Insulation (advice)

Taruffi57 at aol.com Taruffi57 at aol.com
Mon Sep 6 15:50:13 EDT 2010

I just did all of my wheelwells and was appalled at the crevices, gaps and
a few rusted areas at panel laps and joints. These areas were mostly where
seam  sealer had hardened, cracked and/or fallen out.  I scraped off
undercoating, sanded down to bare metal, ospho'd and patched small areas  with
short strand fiberglass and dug out the old seam sealer where it had  failed.
I then used new seam sealer in a caulking tube - bought from my  local
automotive paint supply store.  Used a small putty knife to force it  in and
smooth it out.   Then primer on the remaining bare metal  surfaces and 3M
undercoating.

Actually, I now wish that I had just double spray painted instead of
undercoating, as I can see small shrink cracking in the undercoating surface in
places.  Cleaned and primed/painted all suspension/steering & brake
components too.  Still, I think what I have done will last a long time and  I no
longer have body color coil springs, brake drums/calipers, etc.    (car
recently painted)   Your method could be even better, but the  above was about my
limit of knowledge.  Sure looks nice though.

Joe Dunlap
Cen. Fla.
2 Vairs