<VV> Fuel Pump Woes/Not just Corvair

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Tue Sep 7 09:28:20 EDT 2010

In a message dated 9/6/2010 11:33:55 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
tony.underwood at cox.net writes:

Also,  this bogus diaphragm material that got used by some
rebuilder/manufacturers was NOT restricted to just Corvair
pumps.   It ended up in other reman'ed and repro pumps as
well.  We're not the only ones who complain about replacement leaky
fuel pumps.   I know a guy with an older Cadillac who went  through 3
pumps before he finally found an original manufacturer's part  with
the right diaphragm material.   Likewise a fuel pump that  was bought
for my brother's "Fiat 127" (don't wanna say Yugo in here for  fear of
ridicule) which used that SAME crappy rubber.  That pump was  returned
for credit, the original, which was disassemble'able, got taken  apart
and fixed on my bench, afterwards, no more  problems.

Tony makes an important point here.  Even though I am seriously  looking at
an electrical pump conversion for my Corvairs I know Corvair  mechanical
pumps are not alone in having a bad reputation--all replacement pumps  for
vehicles with mechanical fuel pumps seem to have a high failure rate.   The new
mechanical fuel pump I put on my mother's Celebrity a few years back
started leaking fuel by the time she drove it the 1200 miles to Florida.   So I'm
not suspicious of just Corvair pumps--I look at them all with suspicion
now.  The ones we had in the '60's and 70's weren't perfect and wouldn't go
over 150K like the new electrical ones do, but the old ones sure as heck
didn't  fail in less than 5K miles.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair
Corvanatics